Attorney for Car Accidents in Los Angeles & San Bernardino Counties
Traffic accidents in California take the lives of more than 3,500 people every year and injure another quarter of a million. Los Angeles ranks number one for most car accident injuries and deaths among the 15 large cities in its statistical group. The city of San Bernardino ranks sixth out of the 59 cities it is compared with by the California Office of Traffic Safety. Car accidents cause untold pain, suffering and economic loss. And they are almost always preventable.
Car accidents are most often the fault of a negligent driver. Accident victims hit by a negligent driver have a right to recover compensation for their injuries and damages, paid by the driver’s liability insurance coverage or the accident victim’s uninsured motorist coverage if the negligent driver is uninsured. The Law Firm of Oscar A. Ischiu, Esq. represents car accident injury victims in Los Angeles and San Bernardino, helping them get the medical care and compensation they need to deal with the harm that has befallen them. If you’ve been hurt in an accident, you can count on our firm to go out of our way to make sure you are treated properly while we work to get you a significant amount of compensation that reflects the damage done. Call today to speak with a dedicated car accident attorney at The Law Firm of Oscar A. Ischiu, Esq.
Leading Causes of Car Accidents in Los Angeles and San Bernardino
Every driver owes a duty to other drivers on the road to drive with the skill and attention of the ordinary driver. Failing to do so is negligence, and those who cause an accident through their negligence are liable for the damages that result. The leading causes of car accidents in Los Angeles and San Bernardino are a litany of negligent driving behavior:
- Inattention/distracted driving
- Alcohol/drunk driving
- Following too closely
- Unsafe lane changes
- Failing to obey traffic signals and signs
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Improper turns
At The Law Firm of Oscar A. Ischiu, Esq., we work with law enforcement, private investigators, accident reconstruction experts and others as necessary to uncover the facts behind an accident, determine how it happened and who was at fault, and take the steps needed to prove a case against the responsible parties and hold them accountable for the damages they have caused.
Damages in a Car Accident
Car accidents cause thousands of injuries and deaths annually, and multiple people die every day in a California car crash. Injuries suffered in a car accident can be painful and debilitating, or permanent and severe. Injuries typical of a crash include:
- Cuts and scrapes, including facial lacerations
- Muscle sprains and tears
- Back and neck injuries, including spinal cord injuries
- Concussions, head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement
In a personal injury claim, you should be able to recover compensation for all your present and future medical bills arising from the accident, including hospital bills, doctor’s visits, medications, prosthetics or medical equipment, physical therapy and more. Additionally, you can recover lost wages for the time you missed from work due to the accident, including compensation if you are permanently disabled or left with a diminished capacity to earn a living compared to before the accident. Other legal damages include compensation for pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss in quality of life or the ability to enjoy life.
In addition to proving the other driver’s negligence and liability for the accident, your attorney will also build a case that proves the full extent of your legal damages, documenting the expenses you have incurred and detailing how the accident will impact your life and health into the future. Armed with the facts and a solid claim, we’ll work to negotiate a favorable settlement with the insurance company or litigate your case in the courts if necessary to get you a fair result that meets your needs.
After a Car Accident in Los Angeles or San Bernardino
Getting hurt in a crash is a confusing, chaotic time in your life. If you can remember to take the following steps at the scene and in the days after the accident, you can put yourself in the best position to heal from your injuries to the greatest extent possible and protect your claim for compensation from the negligent driver.
- Stay at the scene of the accident until help arrives or until you have completed your legal obligation to report the accident or exchange information.
- If your vehicle is impeding traffic and is drivable, you are supposed to move it off the road if you can do so safely. If not, get yourself to a safe place on the side of the road and call the police.
- If you or anyone is hurt, render whatever aid you can, and call 911 if anybody’s injuries seem severe.
- In an accident involving significant property damage or any injury, you are supposed to call the police while at the scene and wait for them to arrive. The police will make a report of the incident that your lawyer will need later, and they might also test the other driver for alcohol intoxication.
- Exchange information with the other driver, including your name and phone number, driver’s license and license plate numbers, the name of your insurance company and your policy number.
- Gather statements or at least contact information from any witnesses who saw the accident.
- Take pictures of the crash site, including damage to the vehicles and the roadway.
- If you were not taken to the hospital after the crash, follow up with a doctor within a day or two for an examination. This is important to make sure you don’t have any hidden injuries that need to be treated, such as a concussion or internal bleeding, and also to make a record for your insurance claim. If you don’t have a regular doctor, your attorney can direct you to an appropriate physician who can see you and defer payment until your case is settled.
- Call the insurance company (yours or the other driver’s) to report the accident. If you can, avoid making any recorded statements or giving more than just basic information. If you talk to a lawyer first, they can prepare you for your call to the insurance company or make the call on your behalf. Insurance companies, even your own, will work from the start to position themselves to avoid liability or pay out as little as possible, and they will use your own words against you if they can.
- Call a car accident attorney who will make sure all the proper steps are taken to protect your claim, ensure you are getting the medical treatment you need, and start the process of recovering compensation for your injuries. In Los Angeles or San Bernardino, call The Law Firm of Oscar A. Ischiu, Esq. for dedicated, diligent assistance with your specific needs in mind.
Get the Help You Need After a Car Accident in Los Angeles or San Bernardino
For help after a car accident in Los Angeles or San Bernardino County, call The Law Firm of Oscar A. Ischiu, Esq. at our offices in West Covina, Ontario or Monrovia. Your call is free, and we only charge a fee after we are successful in your case. We speak both English and Spanish and are available to serve you 24/7, so call now for immediate assistance.